Thursday, March 15, 2012

Never Ceases to Amaze

Sorry about two posts in one day, but I was away without access to my blog or the internet! I think I'm addicted!

Every once in awhile, we all need reminders about why we do what we do. If you're a teacher, you know you're not in it for the money, or the "three months of summer vacation" you get. When you see the progress you make with a single child, it reminds you. When you see the progress of the class as a whole it runs you over! I'm not talking talking necessarily about the academic gains, I'm talking any real progress.

Last Friday, we met with a group of second graders through an online project with Skype.  My friends were a bit unsettled, but not bad considering we were leaving for camp on Monday. In asking questions of each other, the other class asked about Lock Downs. My friend responded, "Well yes, we have lock down drills." The other student's response back led us to believe they have had a lock down. When we disconnected, my friends started to talk about the conversation. My naughty friend raised her hand and said, "It makes you appreciate our school, and our community a little more. We don't always remember how good we have it."

I was reminded of this several times throughout our three days at camp. We had a tornado watch come and go without my three anxious students falling apart. We had 100% climb on a horse. My very shy, quiet talker led "Grace" and stood on stage to lead a song. A struggling student sang, danced, and made it through a night hike successfully. The students, cabin leaders and weather were outstanding. Who would believe we would be complaining of sunburn and being too warm at camp in March in Michigan? It never ceases to amaze me what wonders He does!

--Marcia
Pin It button on image hover