Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tried It Tuesday! QR Fun

I have been wanting to join Holly, Fourth Grade Flipper's Tried It Tuesday linky, but haven't been able to get myself organized.



For my first installment of Tried It Tuesday, I chose to share my experience with QR Codes. This seems to be a popular topic for this linky. My first experience with QR Codes in the classroom was last year. I stumbled upon a post by someone while stalking blogs. The post gave very specific directions on how the QR Codes were used to improve communication. I created a QR Code for my classroom website using qrstuff.com.

Then, I found a great tutorial this fall on using QR Codes in the classroom, by Mrs. Michelle White. She showed how to use a qr code to make a link to a Show Me video and a website, both easy things accomplished with QR Stuff.

 Shortcut to her worksheet

I was able to take it from there. I made a worksheet that used QR Codes as shortcuts or links to websites.

Google Docs

 (I learned that too many QR Codes on a worksheet are a bad thing when trying to save a Google Document. Save the document as a PDF file first. Google Docs sees all the shortcuts and cannot handle all the redirects.)

I made a QR Code to go with a novel we were reading.
From there I taught colleagues how to use them. I was even brave enough to teach a session at our iPad in-service last month. I included some of my favorite shortcuts as part of my lesson.
My students have become very good at using QR Codes. One has even made a scavenger hunt for us to use in the classroom. Blogging has exposed me to so many things that incorporate technology, like QR Codes. Have you tried them?










7 comments:

  1. I'm braving the waters of QR this week! Thanks for the tips. Wish me luck :)

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your students will love it. There are so many easy things to do with the QR Codes. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. I wish we had iPads. We have laptops, so we use the computers a lot. We do not have any devices to scan the QR codes.
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Balancing the Backpack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have iPads. I would love to have laptops, too. I keep telling our tech guy that I want to be a 1:1 classroom! I think I would need a grant for that! Does your school allow students to bring their own device?

      Delete
  3. I also wish we had more iPads to use. I get them once a week for about 40 minutes so it's difficult to plan. I have seen so many great ideas for using QR codes -- I think I need to find a grant!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit I am a iPad hoarder. They change our sign out policy so I would have to give them up. We could have them for two or three days in a row. Now we get them for 3 half days. Since the policy change, they have sat idle three whole days that I know of. I couldn't have them because my time was already allotted for the week. :( We used a grant to purchase ours. Two neighbor districts piggybacked to also get them. We are trying for another. We really need more! Well, I need more anyway. Lol. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I have pinned to explore later. I just started using QR codes but would like to create my own when I get the time...lol:) Thank you so much for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover