Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tried It - Mystery Skype


One of the things I have enjoyed the most about technology is how it can connect us, no matter how far apart we are. Skype is one of the easiest things I have used to make the world come closer to my neck of the woods. I have used Skype in several online projects, but until this year, my kids knew who was calling, and what to expect. Mystery Skype was a new experience for both the students and myself. I first read about Mystery Skypes on a blog, but don't remember whose, since it was a couple of years ago. I saw a post about Mystery Skypes on Shepherd's Shining Stars.


We were able to set up a Mystery Skype with her class. You can read about it here and here.

To Skype, you need a webcam or some document cameras will work. You may need a stand alone microphone. An iPad can also be used, but it may be difficult for students to view the other class without cloning the screen. I have a Microsoft webcam I use. We use the smart board to view the feed from the other class. We also have a sound system and microphone that gives us good quality sound and picture. An alternative to Skype could be FaceTime. Our school blocks some social media sites, although we can request a window/time frame for them to be opened for educational purposes.

I recommend choosing a class in your time zone because it is easier to find common times with school starting and ending in similar time frames. I also recommend setting up a trial call with the teacher to check picture and sound, especially if this is your first Skype. Work out the arrangements ahead of time, and have fun learning about other classes or places.

Interested in a Mystery Skype in the fall or sometime next school year? Fill out the form. I will share it so you can get matched up with classes next year.


Mystery Skype - Find your match

Have fun!  Don't forget to link up with Holly for the link up! Remember this is the only one this month.

Pin It button on image hover