Monday, December 16, 2013

Snow Day

Last week I commented that we historically miss a day of school during this last week of school before Winter Break. Friday night through Saturday, my area received over 8 inches of snow. With a day to clean roads, many students and parents were surprised to see our school scrolling across the season finally of "Survivor" last night. I wasn't surprised. The winds were just strong enough to make the powdery snow wreak havoc on our country roads. We started with a two hour delay, but cancelled when the country roads were treacherous.

I decided to take advantage of my free time by finishing a gift for a friend, making a gift for my students, and then headed to school. When I left on Friday, I had centers ready for Monday, but with one less day, I had to do some editing. I always plan too big for this last week.

I copied my last root word units to get me through the semester in mid-January, made a sample of some projects, got pictures set for parent gifts, and wrote two blog posts. Not bad for a quick trip to school.

Former Principal sharing a seasonal favorite "The Sparkle Box"
I have things set for the morning. Our former principal is coming first thing to read "The Sparkle Box". She read it last year to my students. It is a nice way to reinforce our RACK project. Students will share their RACK from Saturday, then we'll wrap up our unit on "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."

I have so many activities planned, I hope we don't get the predicted additional accumulating snow tonight. That will just make me a Grinch, as I am forced to cut more from my hectic schedule. I have lots of centers, purchased from TpT on Cyber Monday, and part of the TpT Holiday Freebies, besides my own centers I made. I will be back Wednesday with a What Works post, and will check in at the end of the week.

Happy Holidays Math Centers for Upper Elementary
Reindeer-Games-ELA-Center-for-Upper-Elementary

How will you spend your week?


1 comment:

  1. I'm from Michigan (Detroit area) and we had 6 inches on Saturday, but had school on Monday. Usually when we don't have school it's because of the cold. We don't have students riding buses, but walking or parents driving.


    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover