Saturday, April 7, 2012

Say it isn't so!

My spring break has flown by. With hubby in class, as a full time student, and my youngest daughter on a different schedule, I had the week free for me. My kitchen has been scrubbed and de-cluttered. My floors are clean! We'll see how long that lasts with my preparation for dinner tomorrow.

I also decided I needed to spend time in my classroom to get it back it order. With no days off since January 3rd, the room had been lacking the usual day off clean up I usually do. With an evaluation (the p is supposed to be back :) and conferences coming, I knew a reorganization was needed.

The worst culprit? My classroom library needed to be sorted and inventoried. I have the least responsible group this year. I let all of the fifth graders borrow books. I was noticing many books leaving shelves, but no sign-outs. Many students don't follow the rules, and simply put books back in any old basket. After a day and a half, all chapter books in the room are where they belong. The exceptions are curriculum support baskets and buddy books. They will have to wait for another day.

I am taking a break from updating my inventory list to write this post. I am afraid to see how many have actually walked away. I forgot the sign-out list at school, so will need to check it over before I officially close the library on Monday. I can hear the whining already.

Yes, that would be Naughty Nancy that probably has a dozen books in her desk, cubby, locker, and under her bed at home. I closed my library  for three days last year. Miraculously, all but 5 books reappeared. Considering I have over 2000 books, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I will actually know my total when I finish the inventory soon. I am looking into doing an online book inventory. I tried a scanner, but can't do it anymore with our frozen system. An online one looks the best. What do you think?

Lastly, I decided to take advantage of the somewhat decent weather here in southeast Michigan, and have logged 20 miles of walking for the week. I am on a mission to get in shape. Our district has been on a challenge to "walk" from New York City to Los Angeles. I hope to add another 5-8 miles before Monday. I better get going!

Have a wonderful relaxing Easter with your family!
--Marcia


Pin It button on image hover