Tuesday, April 15, 2014

This wasn't funny!

My spring break was suppose to end at 7:30 yesterday morning.  Imagine my surprise when I pulled in the parking lot at 7:20 and saw no buses at the curb. Usually there are a few early ones. Instead I saw a hundred students standing outside the main doors. Huh? At 7:10 the power went out throughout most of our county. The power company could not give a restoration time. With having lost so much learning time already this year, they decided to take a gamble. We opened the doors and sent kids to classrooms. If parents were dropping off students they were encouraged to keep them. Breakfast was a cold pastry and milk for those that did not eat at home.


Arriving to my room was interesting. My room is dark most mornings with the tree and word wall blocking out the light. It was very dark. We used my cell phone flashlight to grab books to read in the hallway (which had an emergency light) and a spelling test paper. We couldn't do a normal pretest on Spelling City without electricity or internet. Within an hour, our gamble paid off and lights were back on. We could blog about our spring break and the crazy end to it on Kidblog.

The temperature yesterday was 70 degrees at 7:20 AM. By 3:30 it had dropped to 50 degrees. What started with rain around 8:00 PM turned into a ground covering of snow by early morning. 
Hyacinths and Daffodils covered in snow.

This is not the way I imagined my week beginning. I am glad tomorrow is "Happy" Hump Day. We are starting it with a song! Can't wait. Hope your day was warmer than mine.

Pin It button on image hover